Do I need a USDOT Number?

by Aug 12, 2022Idealease, News, Truck Driver Safety

This question comes up frequently from our customers and thought that this week we will address this.  This question usually is raised when we have a customer that is an INTRAstate carrier not subject to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) INTERstate regulations rather their own state regulations. 

The following thirty-eight states and Puerto Rico require a USDOT number for INTRAstate operations:




Alabama Alaska Arizona California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Missouri Montana New Jersey New York Nebraska Nevada North Carolina Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania South Carolina Texas Utah Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming


What is a USDOT Number?

Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in INTERstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number. Also, commercial INTRAstate hazardous materials carriers who haul types and quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT Number.

The USDOT Number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections. 

Click the button below to access our interactive tool that will determine if you need a US DOT number:

Contact Idealease