SCHOOLS ARE LETTING OUT, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!
With Spring already here, many of us are looking forward to spending more time outdoors. Many schools will be letting out in the next couple of weeks. There will be many children going to and from, and participating in, outdoor activities throughout the day. Adults, too, are taking advantage of the longer daylight hours, so let us all commit ourselves to stay alert and safe. Here are some safety tips for drivers I urge you to follow:
- The last week of school is an exciting time for children, and they may become preoccupied and forget the rules of the road. Use extra caution when driving through school zones.
- During those last few days of school, be aware that kids may arrive or leave school at different times throughout the day.
- Remember that playground speed limits remain in effect year-round. Observe carefully when driving around playgrounds and parks. Small children are less predictable and harder to see than adults.
- Watch for clues, a hockey net or ball in the road or on the sidewalk can mean kids are playing nearby. Pay attention and constantly anticipate the unexpected.
- Always watch for small children as you’re backing up. Walk around your vehicle to ensure no kids or pets are behind it.
- As you make your deliveries you will see children that would normally be in schools on bikes, skateboards, walking, etc. in parking lots, shopping centers, and crossing streets.