The following article originally shared via Idealease Safety Bulletin.
Slip/Trip and Fall injuries are the most common type of injury for drivers. Most of them occur during the winter months. Each year, thousands of professional drivers are seriously injured due to not paying attention in winter conditions. Working in the ice and snow requires your full attention and awareness.
- Remember it is our primary goal that you go home to your family and friends the way you came to work today, safe and healthy.
- Always wear proper footwear. A full support leather shoe with a rugged non-slip sole. Use non-slip covers on shoe (Yak Trax, etc.)
- SLOW DOWN, never be in a hurry.
- Always watch where you walk. Snow can accumulate on top of ice in and around truck parking areas.
- Take small steps and check your footing with each step.
- Look for ice on all handrails and hand grabs before using them.
- ALWAYS use gloves for better grip.
- ALWAYS use three points of contacts when exiting/entering your tractor or trailer or getting on the cat walk behind the cab, ALWAYS.
- Always use your seat belt.
- SLOW DOWN!
- Slow Down in winter!